If you monitor your radio, you've likely heard control ask these infamous questions:
"Operator has your train been brought to a safe stop?"
"Do you need medical? Is anyone on your train requesting medical?
"Head car and badge number...."
"Supervisor ___ intercept that operator!!"
But what happens next? Recently, I had the unfortunate experience of learning this firsthand.
Once you are taken off the line of road, you will be sent to the manager's office. They will ask you to fill out a Report to Manager form. It's important to be as brief as possible to avoid incriminating yourself. When you are finished with your report, make sure you fill out a time slip for the minimum of 30 minutes. Ask for a copy of your report to manager.
Next they will make you complete a Breathalyzer and Saliva swab. Please carefully follow the directions of the drug technician and do not refuse any tests. Refusal of a test is considered a positive result.
If you have a minimum of two years of service (full or part time), you are eligible for the EAP drug program following a positive drug test.
You will be asked to complete a "Fact-Finding" Interview. It's in your best interest to wait until you have a Union rep present. You have 24 hours to secure representation. The manager can't force you to complete the interview if you requested representation. If they deny you this Weingarten right, upcoming discipline could be thrown out later. An added benefit to getting union representation the next day is getting adequate rest so you can think clearly.
You will also be asked to Interview with the Safety Department over the phone. Out of an abundance of caution, I also delayed this interview that night.
The union rep for Howard is Thomas Morgan, who is a switchworker. I can't stress enough the importance of meeting your rep before you need their help. Find the current Union reps here. When I reached out to Morgan, he responded within a few minutes, even though it was quite late.
I tried to be entirely transparent about my situation. You may be tempted to withhold certain facts or take some creative liberties with how everything played out. This is only going to hurt your Union rep's ability to help you.
I think it's also important to understand that Union reps take lots of calls and texts during off work hours and do not receive additional pay. They are paid what their classification pays on discipline day. So all other work is unpaid...
When I arrived to work the next day, I completed my safety and fact-finding interviews. Luckily I had very positive experiences with both parties.
For the next few days, I was assigned to "Platform" helping operators clear their trains of passengers. During this time, you will have numerous coworkers approach you and ask what happened.
Some believe it's best to keep a low profile to avoid workplace gossip, but I did the opposite...
I trusted my coworkers enough to ask for their thoughts.
I'm sure the gossip did happen. But I received an extraordinary amount of support from my coworkers.
Because I talked about my experience, this led to a supervisor advising me that he'd experienced the same "glitch" that was a contributing factor in my situation. This had been reported to management a few years earlier. This supervisor took it upon himself to vouch for me and remind management about this report.
When I finally did meet with the senior manager on Discipline Day, I received no charge at all.
I attribute this to:
-not trying to cover up the situation that night
-exercising my Weingarten rights
-being honest with my union rep
-my union rep's experience
-calling our Union president and other reps for advice
-trusting my coworkers enough to ask for insight
Please understand that operating is not easy. You will make mistakes. If you know a coworker being investigated for a safety-related incident, approach them and offer your support. Someday you may be in their shoes.
In the words of another supervisor, "Everyone gets a turn."
Comments
Post a Comment